Friday, March 26, 2010

Phase One - Personas

Create a blog post on the class blog that answers the following questions about your persona or character from the 1960s that you have developed.

Persona or Character Name:
Gender:
Age:
Ethnicity:
Occupation:
Location:
Estimated Yearly Income:

1. Describe your physical appearance.
2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
4. How do segregation laws impact your life?



Use the websites provided to help you consider the historical, social, and cultural events that will influence your character's point of view. After creating your persona and posting your blog, search the postings your peers have created and respond to the character that most closely resembles your own and the character that is the most diverse from your own. Your responses should explain why you feel a character is similar or why you feel a character is diverse. You also need to ask that character one question that you would like to have answered. Consider the character and decide on a challenging and interesting question.

85 comments:

  1. Persona: Frances

    Age: 15

    Gender: Female

    Ethnicity: African-American

    Occupation: Babysitter for a white family in Alabama


    Describe your appearance.
    I am a fifteen year old American girl. I often have on a work apron, white uniform, and stockings. At work I have to keep my hair pulled back from my face. I work very hard and by the end of the day I usually have stains of the front of my uniform from taking care of the two children that I babysit. My eyes are full of life in the mornings and tired by the evenings.

    Describe your family.
    My family is large. I have two older brothers, an older sister, and a younger brother. My cousin also lives with us right now. Our father is rarely home. He works the night shift so we rarely see him. Our mother works as a maid in a person’s home and dreams of her children getting an education. Because I am the only girl, I sometimes take on some extra responsibilities around the house, like cooking dinner for my family.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I have many parts about myself that I like. I think I am wonderful singer and a hard worker. I feel inferior to some people and superior to others. I feel like the white girls in my town look at me differently. They sometimes call me names and make me feel inferior. The people I work for make me feel like I am not as smart as I really am. I have great friends and my mom. They make me feel great and love me for who I am. They see the potential in me.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I want to be like Dr. King one day. He thinks that everyone is equal no matter what color skin. I believe that we should all be able to live together without holding each other back. I hope that these laws cause the people in my town to change the way they think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persona: Dewayne

    Age: 17

    Gender: male

    Ethnicity: African-American

    Occupation: I work at my grandfather's store.
    Describe your appearance.
    I'm about six foot even. I have dark brown skin and dark brown eyes. I usually wear jeans and just a cheap tshirt or tank top. i usually wear whatever tennis shoes i can afford at the time.
    Describe your family.
    My family is medium. I have one older and younger brother. My dad is usually gone working. He works whenever he can so he can suppout our family. Our mother works at a diner not far from home. She just works there so she can stop being the normal mother that stay at home mom way of life.
    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I feel inferior to my dad because he makes the rules around the house and if you dont follow them then he will beat u or put you on the streets. I also fell inferior to my older brother because he is the dad when my father isnt around. I dont feel superior to anybody.
    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I like malcolm x. He says you got to fight back, instead of turning the other cheek like Martin Luther King thinks. I think we should seperate ourselves from whites totally even if they dont approve of segregation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persona: Marie Anne
    Gender:Female
    Age: 17
    Ethnicity:white
    Occupation:none
    Location:memphis,tn
    estimated yearly income:

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I'm a short white girl with long brown hair. I always dress in the cutest clothes and have the lastest purses and shoes.
    2.Describe your family and your role in that family enviroment.
    My family is a wealthy family that is very popular in the community. My daddy is a big time lawyer. My mom is a socialite in the community as well. We live in a large mansion. I have an little brother and sister. My role in the family is the spoiled teenage daughter.
    3.Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Wy or why not?
    I dont feel like im superior to others around me but i do feel like im very priveleged.
    4. How do segregation laws impact your life? Segregation laws do not affect me but they do affect my maid Paula. I feel bad about the African-Americans having to sit in the back of the bus and have all these loss of privileges just becuase of the color of their skin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Name- Torren
    Gender- male
    age- 12
    ethnicity- white
    occupation- student

    1) Small and athletic with dark brown hair and eyes.
    2)family life for me is rough. people expect too much from me and im already doing my best... in school and at home. Im the 2nd oldest with two little siblings and one older sister.
    3)I feel both inferior and superior in that some people around me try to put me down, but superior in that they put me down because they envy me. people say your friends hope you do good until you do better than them.
    4)I in my household i am either fully accepted by some and shunned by the other so i can understand that perspective. Segregation laws are unfair and effect me because despite how others feel i still socialize with other people of any race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Name: Jeanie
    Age: 17
    Gender: Female
    Ethnicity: White
    Occupation: none
    Location: Los Angeles, California
    Estimated Yearly Income: 100,000

    Describe your appearance.
    I am a seventeen year old American girl.I usually have on expensive dresses and nice shoes. I usually have my hair down and in curls and a little makeup to mark up my face. My hair is brown and I have big green eyes that are always full of joy.

    Describe your family and your role in the family enivorment.
    My family is very small. It is only me and my parents. My father is hardly home due to his job of traveling. We have several slaves that does our work. I sometimes feel sorry for them. I go to school and etticut classes once day, and sometimes have tea with the mayor. Because I am the only girl, I live off of my parents income.
    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?

    I feel very inferior to almost everyone. I think that because my parents are so well off I am better than everyone. Though, sometimes I feel superior to the slaves in our home due to their knowledge of daily cleaning skills. I sometimes dream of having those abilities. I love that I do nothing, yet I get everything I want in return.

    How do segergation laws impact your life?

    I sometimes feel that everyone should be equal, but my parents have always taught me that blacks are superior to the whites in our community. They have always told us they weren't good enough to go to school with us, ride the same bus, or go to the same church as us. But I think we're all the same, and they have the same skills and abilities that we have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Persona:Nicole
    Gender:Female
    Age:18
    Ethnicity:Canadian
    Occupation:Model

    1)Describe your apperance.
    I am tall and blond. I am always dressed in different things depending on what my photographer wants me in that day.

    2)Describe your family and your role in the family environment.
    I have a mom and a dad. My mom is American and my dad is Canadian. I have a brother named Julien. He is 17. Not alot goes on at my house. Everyone is always gone doing their own thing. My role is being the pretty model in the family.

    3)Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    When I am around other people I feel superior. Because I am a pretty model I am always being looked at and admired. I never feel bad about myself.

    4)How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I think that everyone is equal no matter what you look like or what color your skin is. Even though segregation does not effect me, the effect some of my friend back in America. I think that no one should be told where they have to sit or go to school. I think everyone should treat others equally and with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a model and the big idol/icon for younge girls do you ever have to watch what you say or do to influence girls. people envy you and want to be you. yet you feel awesome about yourself. what kind of person are you/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Charcter Name: Emily
    Gender:Female
    Age:16
    Ethnicity:White
    Occupation:none
    Location:Jackson, Mississippi
    Estimated Yearly Income$8,000
    Describe your physical appearance: I'm a 16 year old female who always dresses in the latest fasion. I am short with dark hair and wonderful skin.
    Describe your family and your role in that family environment: I'm the only child in my family and I get whatever I want from my partents. My father works in consturtion and my mother is a nurse at the hospital near by.
    Do you feel inferio or superior to others around you? Why or why not?: I am superior to everyone around me because no one could be better than me.
    How do segregation laws impact your life?: Segregation does not affect me. It is the way things are and they way things should be. Even a million years from now everything will be just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always have to watch what I say and do. It is hard sometimes to realize the impact I have on so many girls. It scares me to think that if I do something wrong then some little innocent girl might do the same thing thinking it is okay because I did it. I try to always influence people to do whats right. But, yes I do have to watch what I say and do in every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jeanie i think your superior/inferior question was mixed up a little. Though your parents are well off and you have maids and housekeepers of a different race do you treat them differently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda/Emily: Do you think that if your life changed and one day you suddenly found yourself poor and with nothing would you be able to adapt and change your outlook on life?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Searcy: My life will never change. It will always be this perfect. I will always have what I want when I want it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeanie superior means that you are better than everyone and inferior means that you think everyone is better than you. If you think that you are superior to almost everyone...as do I...why do you think that just because the slaves have knowledge about cleaning makes them better than you? You get to sit and watch them clean up your mess. Is that not what you want?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Name: Tara
    Gender: Female
    Age: 15
    Ethnicity: African American
    Occupation: none
    Location: Birmingham, Alabama


    Appearance: I am a 15 year old African American girl. I have short dark brown curly hair and deep ebony skin. I usually wear dresses that my grandma makes for me.

    Family and Role in Enviroment: Me and my daddy live in a small neighborhood in Birmingham. My daddy is a civil rights leader. He is a strong black man who has a passion for trying to obtain rights for our people. People in my small community look up to him for this. Even though he gets criticized and talked about for what he does, he never is ashamed to stand up for what he believes is right. My mother is no longer alive. She was murdered by two white men who didn't like what my daddy stood up for. I was 4 when she was killed. I don't remember her that well.

    Inferior or Superior? : I feel that i am inferior to white people. It's just how things are these days. Us black people are seperated from whites as if we aren't as good as them.

    Segregation laws: Segregation is a huge part of my everyday life. I can't go to school with little white kids. I can't drink out of the same water fountain as them. It's like I'm not good enough to be around them because of my skin color. I hope there will be one day when i won't be judged or looked down to because of something as simple as the color of my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Persona Name: Simon
    Gender: Male
    Age: 20
    Ethnicity: African-American
    Occupation: Cooker for a wealthy family
    Location: Knoxville, Tenn.
    Estimated Yearly Income: $100.00

    1) Describe your physical appearance.

    I’m 20 years old, working for a wealthy white family who happened to be a very good family to me. I’m six foot and three inches. I am a very well known cooker in my family and the family I work for. I always wear a white apron all day and every day except Sunday. The white family that I work for has given me a proper uniform to wear like a butler in some restaurants. I’m not a dark person but my color is medium. I have a broad shoulder and fined muscles that I can almost lift up every house appliances in the house.

    2) Describe your family and your role in that family environment.

    My family is a working class family. My dad works in a big factory, making a trucks and cars. My mother’s job is making clothes. I have one younger sister and one younger brother. My younger brother is older than my sister. I am two years older than him. He works as a cooker, too, at a small restaurant. My sister works for another white family as a maid and babysitter for a white young boy. I mostly have been raised by my parents to respect people on behalf of their anger on African-American people. Since I am the oldest child in the family, I mostly teach my younger siblings to work hard by helping me cleaning our house on Sunday. Sunday is the only day all of us can get to have our free day from working. My family has known to be the hard-working family in my community, despite the challenges we faced against other white people that treated us meanly.

    3) Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or Why not?

    I feel inferior to others around me because most white people treated me badly by making me do an easy works or hard works even though it’s not my job to work for them. I only find few white people treat me as nice as they can be and I’m satisfied with it. To me, the only people I’ve known that can be nice to me are the family I work for six days every week. Even though they treat me nice sometimes, I feel scared to abuse those nice attitudes because I know they will beat me or they will not let me eat if I had done little things. Sometimes when I cook and serve their foods, they always rush me and if I don’t rush, they will scream at me. Then, when they are eating already, they will send me to the kitchen so I can eat by myself.

    4) How do segregation laws impact your life?

    Since white people had African-Americans from them, I felt so alone that I can’t make myself make my own decisions in my life. It seems like I am imprisoned for life. I can’t feel more freedom in public nor inside a house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Persona: Cindy
    Gender: Female
    Age: 13
    Ethnicity: White
    Occupation : None
    Location: Manhattan, New York
    Estimated Yearly Income:

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I am short with pale white skin. I have long flowing blonde hair with the biggest round green eyes. I always have on the best clothes and dresses.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    I have two older brothers and a younger sister. My father is the mayor of our city, and he stays in his office most of the time. My mother stays at home and helps raise us. Because my brothers are always gone with dad, I stay home and help take care of sissy when mother is tired.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    My dad being mayor causes many people to respect me more than they would an average female. So overall I would have to say I’m superior even though I feel inferior around my dad.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    Segregation laws haven’t really impacted my life. I play with all the kids around me regardless of their color. My dad taught me to love all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Persona: Evangeline

    Age: 23

    Gender: Female

    Ethnicity: White

    Occupation: Military Nurse

    Location: California

    Estimated Yearly Income: $1,300 per year

    Describe your appearance.
    I am twenty-three years old. I am often wearing a white nurse uniform with white socks and tennis shoes. I have long, wavy, brown hair. While I am working I wear it in a bun. I have luscious, pink lips and hazel eyes. I am 5’2.”

    Describe your family.
    My family is large. I have two older brothers and one younger brother. My father works for the FBI. My mother is an Interior Designer. My two older brothers are married. I have two nieces and one nephew.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I feel inferior to some people in my life. Some of the other nurses make me feel inferior. They always get on to me when I do something wrong. They think they can’t ever make a mistake. My family and friends make me feel good about myself.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I agree with Dr. King. I believe everybody is created equal. Everybody should be treated the same not different. We are all people no matter what color. We are created equal in God’s eyes. I hope these laws change the way people think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Persona: Madeline

    Gender: Female

    Age: 20

    Ethnicity: African American

    Occupation: House keeper for a white family

    Yearly Income:

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I am a twenty year old woman. I'm too busy to worry about my own appearance because I focus on the appearance of the house I keep for a white family. I'm a hard worker so I look tired and worn out. My clothes are raggy and covered with filth from cleaning and cooking meals for the white family I work for.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family enviroment.
    I have a big family. I am the oldest of 7 children. I have 3 younger sisters and 3 younger brothers ages 3, 5, 8, 10, 13, and 17. My mother passed away a couple of years ago due to an illness. My dad is always away at work trying to support our family. It is up to me to watch over my siblings and make sure they are fed and taken care of. While I am gone to work, it is up to my 17 year old brother to take care of our siblings.

    3. Do you feel superior or inferior to others around you? why or why not?
    I feel inferior to the white family I work for. They make me feel like my work is never good enough for them. To my family I feel superior. Its up to me to take care of my family and they show me that they are thankful for the effort I put forth to take care of them. My siblings show me the love that my mother once showed me.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    I hope that someday white people will look at us African Americans as equal. I hope that one day whites will be able to look at us without a thought about skin color crossing their mind. I have a dream like Martin Luther King and I hope these laws will lead to equality in our community.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Persona: Michelle
    Gender: Female
    Age: 13
    Ethnicity: African-American
    Occupation: none
    Location: Birmingham, Al
    Yearly Income: none

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    Im a short 13 year old. I have long brown hair with hazel eyes. I get all my clothes from my aunts that make them for me.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    I have a large family. I have two older brothers and two little sisters. My dad works for a rich white family. My mom stays home and raises us and when her and my brothers are gone, I step in and take care of my little sisters.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others aroud you? Why or why not?
    I feel inferior to others. People around me get everything handed to them while I have to work for what i want. The people around me are also not thankful for what they get, me on the other hand is very thankful for everything I get.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    Segregation laws impact my life very much. Kids are starting to talk to me even though im a diffrent color than them. My parents taught me to do unto others as I would have them to do unto me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Caitlin/Marie Anne: if your parents lost their jobs, how would you survive or would you even know how to??

    ReplyDelete
  21. Caitlin/Marie Anne: I feel like were diffrent because your parents are wealthy and your spoiled. Neither of my parents are wealthy, and im not the only child so i cant be spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Shanley/Madeline: I feel like we are kind of the same because we both want equality in our community. How do you feel like us as young people could help with having equality in our community?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Character: Scott
    Gender: Male
    Age: 16
    Ethnic: White
    Occupation: Student
    Location: Birmingham
    Income: N/A

    Appearance: White male with brown hair and blue eyes. I am around 5'10" and thin.

    Family: I live in a family of four and i am the youngest of two sons. My father is a banker and my mother is a teacher.

    Do you feel inferior or superior: No, i dont feel either inferior or superior. All people are equal.

    How do segregation laws affect your life: They affect who i can associate with. They serve a negative purpose and no positive is created by their existance.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Persona: Marvin

    Age: 8

    Gender: Male

    Ethnicity: White

    Occupation: Dont have one...I get allowance though


    Describe your appearance.
    My name is Marvin I am an eight year old white boy born in the state of Alabama i have short choppy brown hair with hazel blue eyes. i am slender and very athletic. I smile everywhere. A typical outfit of mine are old raggedy shorts and a t-shirt. Sometimes i wear a nice colored shirt and slacks but only if i have too.

    Describe your family.
    My family is alright i guess Nothing special about them. My father is a law man. Says he takes care of what is right. he is in charge of keeping people in line. My mom now is an amazing woman. She works around the house. I also have two older brothers. one is 18 and the other is 15 they pick on me all the time cause i like to hangout with the colored kids. i dont see the harm really. i think they are fun! Their is also one other important member of my family, that person is my Nanny Ms. Honey. She has taken care of me since i can remember. i look up to her. The only problem with her is that she is colored and always has a hard time getting along with others.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    Ms. Honey always tells me to do my best in everything I do. She says never let someone make you feel inferior. So that is what I do. So no I dont feel inferior, neither so I feel superior because i am only eight. What in the world can I do. I like playing with my colored friends, but I am always told to stay away and am told by my parents never let me catch you with them ever! I am just all confused i guess.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    Segregations Laws? i think that is the stuff my daddy keeps talking about at dinner. I don't really understands much what he talks about but I can see that things are not fair. I wish I could go play with my friends. i want to sit with them on the bus but then I would get evil looks. What am I to do?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Persona or Character Name: Robert Brown
    Gender: Male
    Age: 36
    Ethnicity: White
    Occupation: Steel Mill
    Location: Birmingham Alabama
    Estimated Yearly Income: 15,000

    1. Describe your physical appearance: I am a rough looking kind of guy who never really dresses up. I’m really laid back when I’m not at the mill.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment: My family consists of my wife and my little girl who I go to work for everyday.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?: I feel that I can hold my own against others and I don’t feel that I’m of lower class.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?: Segregation has little effect on my everyday life as a steel mill worker.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Persona or Character Name: Victoria

    Gender: Female

    Age: 20

    Ethnicity: African-American

    Occupation: Maid for an Alabama family

    Estimated Yearly Income: minimum wage


    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I am a tall African-American lady. I have medium length hair and I usually but a bandana on my head while I work. I always clean my uniform but usually by the end of the day it has many spots and stains on it. I wear stockings and worn out shoes. I am usually very tired looking at the end of the day.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    My father died when I was young. My mother and I were left with the responsibility of taking care of my two younger sisters and my younger brother. She usually works at night and I work in the day time. I usually have to prepare supper for my family every night. I would love to be able to see my siblings get an education one day.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    I feel superior to my mother and siblings. They have always believed in me. I feel inferior when I ride the bus or walk to work. I have to sit in the back of the bus. When I walk people always call me names. White people do not see the potential in me like my family does. I have to work very hard at my job so the people I work for do not get on to me.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    Segregation laws prevented me from getting an education. I do not have a lot of privileges like white people do. We are all equal people. It doesn’t matter what our skin color is. I wish the government and the white people would see that we are just as good as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Persona or Character Name:Rosemary
    Gender:female
    Age:16
    Ethnicity:African American
    Occupation: babysit for a family in Mississippi

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I am a 16 year old American girl. I work for a well off family with three boys. I have a black dress with an apron I have to wear while working.
    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    my family is small. I have a little brother and my mom is on her own. My father just walked out on us.My mother is a house wife so because of me we can pay our main bills.
    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    I feel inferior most of the time because I am looked down on. I can't go to school and get an education because I have to work. I think of my life as good . I am a great dancer and work extermely hard.
    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    I want people to see what Rosa Parks did by standing up for themselves without violence. I know these laws will change lives in my town.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Persona: Renae

    Gender:Female

    Age: 12

    Ethnicity:white

    Occupation: I am not old enough to have a job.

    Location: Montgomery,AL.

    Estimated yearly income: I have no income

    Appearance

    I am 12 years old. I am the shortest of all my friends. I wear pretty floral dresses that make my blue eyes burst. My mom curls my hair in little spiral curls all the time.

    Family

    My Mom is a seamstress. She has her own shop downtown. Sometimes i help her clean and do work around the shop. My dad always is on the farm so he is rarely home. My dad never lets me go on the farm because there are black people that work there. Mom and Dad don't think that it is appropriate for me to be around those kinds of people. I spend a lot of time with my friends when mom and dad let me. My mom made me stop because they play with black kids and my mom doesn't want me to be around them.

    Do you feel superior or inferior to anyone? Why or why not?

    I feel as though we are all inferior, no one is superior, but GOD. My mom and dad say that black people were put her to work for us and that is the only reason. They said that when I am older i will understand.

    How do you feel about Segregation?
    I don't like segregation, it makes me feel lonely. It means that I can’t play with my friends who play with black kids, and I don't think that it is fair.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Persona: Petra-Rosalind

    Age: 12

    Gender: Female

    Ethnicity: Italian

    Occupation: Babysitting

    Location: New York



    Describe your appearance.
    I am a tweleve year old Italian girl. I am average height and size. My skin and hair brown, my eyes green. I often wear a uniform. I am usually at school, always studying and doing work. On weekends I watch the neighbors children, while they go out with my parents.

    Describe your family.
    I have a large family. I have three brothers and two sisters. I am the youngest of the bunch. Our dad is a surgeon, so he is often busy. Our mom is a teacher, so we always have help with our school work.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I love who I am. Sometimes I feel inferior to my siblings, because I am the youngest and smallest. And other times I feel superior, like nothing in the world can stop me.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    Segregation laws happened where I live a long time ago, I really don't mind. I have wonderful friends from all kinds of ethnicities. But a lot of people don't see segregation like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Persona: Reginald

    Age: 36

    Gender: male

    Ethnicity: African-American

    Occupation: Asst. Director of Bands at Sprayberry High School

    Describe your appearance.
    I am African-American with light brown skin. Im about 6'1" and i wear a size 13 shoe. I am a little husky wearing a 40 in the waist. I cut my hair short and i wear wire rimmed glasses. I have many scars from the past and i love dressing nice wherever i go.

    Describe your family.

    I have a lovely wife named Carol, two sons Jack and Kyle that are 13 and 11, a little girl that is 6 her name is susan. My wife does not work so that leaves me to provide a lot of our family's income. I work hard working any job other than my full time job at the school to provide the best for my family. I am a big family man even though i do not see my family as much as i would like to, but when im around I teach my children about the values of the African-American culture, and I so teach them their role in today's socity even though we are fighting for equality.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?

    I am proud of my roots and I love everyone and I was raise on the bases of not to let anyone put me down. Well easier said than done. I would say that people make me feel superior because of all the work I went through to be were i am to day. I walk with my chin up and i know that God will provide protection over the people that critsize and hurt to make you feel inferior to them.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?

    Being seperated because i was born black is so wrong. I want to sit wherever i want and eat wherever I want. Its hard to tell my children why we are treated this way and I would not ever put a parent through that. We as Americans are not free we are not free at all not African-Americans. Freedom is what this country was built on and we must give every citizen their deserved freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Persona: Gehrig

    Gender: Male

    Age: 19

    Ethnicity: African American

    Occupation: Slave

    Location: Jackson, Mississippi

    Estimated Yearly Income: None

    Appearance: I am nineteen years old, and i am a slave for a rich white plantation owner. I particularly wear worn down, ragged overalls covered in dirt, and old black shoes that are too small for my feet. You can usually find me out on the fields working on the crops, or out by the shed cutting wood, or making needed supplies. I Work long, tiring hours from dawn till dusk. Unlike most people who get paid for working, I work so i can have something to eat when i am finished, but if i do not complete my duties, i will not be fed.

    Family: Before i was sold, I lived with my mom, dad, and little sister. My mom and sister were sold to work inside and take care of there owners house in Richmond, Missouri. My father on the other hand was sold and shipped across seas and i have not seen or heard of him since.

    Do you feel superior or inferior to anyone? Why or why not?

    I feel inferior to my master, because i am afraid that if i do not do what i am told i could starve, or worse be killed.

    How do you feel about segregation?

    I feel that segregation is extremely wrong. We are U.S. citizens so we shouldn't be treated any different. We shouldn't be judged by the color of our skin but by are intellegence.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Persona: Ron

    Age: 25

    Gender: Male

    Ethnicity: White

    Occupation: MLB Player (Pirates)

    Estimated Yearly Income: $24,909.00


    Describe your appearance.
    I am a twenty-five year old American man. I have white skin and blue eyes. I mostly just spend my time at the baseball field and/or in the cages improving my swing. Its very unlikely for you to see me in anything but baseball apperal.


    Describe your family.
    In reality, I am an only child, but my teammate, Willie, is like a brother to me. Our friendship reaches out past the baseball field and even in to our lives. My parents are very supportive of my decision to play professional ball and they continue to do whatever they can to support me. I also have a wife and siberian huskie that I love dearly. Although I am on the road a lot, I still find time to take care of my wife and parents.


    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    There are times in my life that I feel superior and other times that I feel inferior. When I am up on the mound, I feel very superior to everyone else and especially the batter. Its like nothing else matters but striking that guy out. The times that I feel inferior are when I am not up on the mound.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I feel that everyone should be equal. No one should feel that they are better than anyone else because of their skin color.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Micheal Bowling

    Persona: Dave

    Age: 18

    Gender: male

    Ethnicity: white

    Occupation: Waiter at the swirly cone

    Location: Selma,AL

    Describe your appearance. I have shaggy hair, and when I'm at work I wear a blue striped work out fit.

    Describe your family.
    I'm an only child we live in a small house out in the country. We get along, although our views are not similar.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    At times I do, because so many people disagree with my views on segregation. So many people do not want to help them, that is overwhelming sometimes.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I have always beleived in supporting posative change in society. I beleive that everyonr should have the same opportunities, no matter what the color of their skin is. I will support thier struggle for a brighter tomarrow.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Persona or Character Name: Kyrstal
    Gender: Female
    Age: 21
    Ethnicity: Indian/black
    Occupation: Reporter
    Location: Atlanta
    Estimated Yearly Income: 2400

    1. Describe your physical appearance.

    I am slim light complected with long black hair. I wear shirts and skirts most of the time. I also wear dresses that my mom makes for me. My eyes are a honey hazel the go along with my skin tone.


    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.

    I have one younger brother and a younger sister. I am the oldest out of my family. When I am not at work I often babysit when my mom goes out shopping. We live in a decent neighborhood with some blacks and whites. My dad works as a lawyer and my mom stayes at home.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    I feel like I am inferior although I am not all the way black I still get treated like I am black just because of my skin tone. the whites around here believe if you are not fully white then you are considerd black. I have to attend all black schools. When I go to school we have to be segregated on the bus and at diners.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    They make me feel like I am worthless and nobody respects me. I would just love to walk around with the whites and talk to the whites and also go to the same school as them. I want to get the same education because I feel like I deserve that I shouldnt get treated different just because of my skin color.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Natoryia/Renae: we are the same age and our dads aren't home a lot. Do you ever wish he was home more?

    Beumer/Frances: We both have large families, babysit, and our fathers aren't home much. Do you ever get tired of doing the same thing everyday?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Persona: Steve

    Age: 17

    Gender: male

    Ethnicity: white

    Occupation: none, i am a student

    Location: Miami, FL

    Income: none


    Describe your appearance.
    I am a white male student in high school. I wear a t-shirt and blue jeans. I am slightly tall and of an average build.

    Describe your family.
    I live with my parents and my older sister. We are not rich but we do what we can.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I do not feel either. I feel that I am somewhere in the middle.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I think that they are unfair to many people. I think that everyone should be equal and be able to do the same things and go to the same places.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Persona: Billy-Ricky

    Age: 47

    Gender: Male

    Ethnicity: White

    Occupation: Shrimp Boat Captain


    Describe your appearance.
    I can usually be found in yellow or orange waders with overalls underneath and a white baseball cap. I’m slightly balding, but I still have some gray hair around the edges and no facial hair. I’m 5’11” with dark tanned skin and I walk with a limp.

    Describe your family.
    I live on my boat with my deckhand John Jr., but I call him John-Boy. I took him in after a hurricane destroyed the fishing village we lived in and took all the family we each had. So now we live a father-son relationship on our boat.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I feel both superior and inferior to John-Boy. I feel superior because I took him in and I provide for him and take care of him. I feel inferior because I know I’m not his real father and he could leave if he wanted too.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    Segregation doesn’t really impact my life because I’m on the water for so long, but when we come into port you see it everywhere. Since we work in the Gulf of Mexico all the ports we come into are in the southern states which are strongly segregated. You have two of everything. One door for whites and one door for colored.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Persona or Character Name:Bridgett
    Gender:Female
    Age:15
    Ethnicity:white
    Occupation:n/a
    Location:Montgomery, AL
    Estimated Yearly Income:n/a


    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I'm small and pale with bright blue eyes and curly blonde hair. I never go out without a pretty dress or skirt on.I always have a bow in my hair and I always wear sandals. I have rosy cheeks and dark eyelashes.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.(below)
    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    My mom died a few hours after I was born. Then when I was 3 my dad married a black woman who really is the only mom I know. Her husbandhad died a few years before, but she had a daughter named Madeline with him the same year I was born. Madeline is my sister we do everything we can together, but sometimes her and Mom have to go somewhere different because of the segregation laws. It's hard being a mixed family, but I always stand up for Madeline and Mom because that is what my dad (a civil rights activist) taught me to do. I probably would have done it anyway though because I love my family even though white people make fun of me.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    In some ways I feel superior to others around me because I am able to see both sides of the spectrum , but in other ways I feel inferior because my family is so restricted.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Persona or Character Name: Hazel
    Gender: Female
    Age: 18
    Ethnicity: Mixed
    Occupation: none
    Location: Montogomery, AL
    Estimated Yearly Income: none

    1. Describe your physical appearance.

    I am a mixed girl with light brown eyes, my complextion is fair brown, my hair is strawberry blonde and curly, im average height, i have a bigger frame than most of the girls around here.
    Describe your family and your role in that family environment.

    My family is not big nor small, i have a mom, a dad, and big sister. I usually dont do anything because i come from a wealthy family and my dad thinks women shouldnt work at all he takes care of us although i wouldnt mind working.
    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?

    I feel inferior to others because my skin is darker than the whites and lighter than the blacks. I look nothing like my family memebers.. I am so different, I dont know where I belong anymore.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?

    I feel that it is wrong and touches my heart and I really want to act on the racial tensions around me, but my family will not let me because they feel that it is not wrong and what they see on racial injustice.

    ReplyDelete
  40. By: Edward Armstead

    Persona: Titus

    Age: 26

    Gender: Male

    Ethnicity: Latino

    Occupation: Entrepreneur


    Describe your appearance.
    I am a (n)26 year old Latino male. I live a hard life, trying to start a business to escape the ghettos of which I live. I don’t have money so as you can imagine, I have a scragadey, homeless look.

    Describe your family.
    My familia is small. I have a brother (octavious). My mother and father are immigrants from Puerto Rico. They tried to integrate us by giving us unusual names such as Titus and Octavious. My father is a meat salesman, my mother a maid. My brother goes to school he is 16 he is getting his education... I never got mine.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    At times... many times I feel inferior. It’s hard to live where I do, and want to get where I want to. It doesn’t help being a Latino in this racist society. Everywhere I go excluding my home, I hear negative comments. But then because I know my potential, I feel superior, "they’re all ignorant," I tell myself, "They’re all just ignorant."

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    They are STUPID, created by STUPID people, with STUPID intensions. It doesn’t affect us as much as the blacks but it still hurts to know someone could have you because your darker. What about the tan white people at the beach? Are they also discriminated against?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Persona: Roxy

    Age: 10

    Gender: Female

    Ethnicity: White

    Occupation: Help the elders around the neighborhood.

    Describe your appearance.
    I am a ten year old American girl. I usually wear floral dresses that relates to the weather. I have long silk hair and brown button eyes. My body is slim but my will is strong. I usually have my hair pulled back and I carry a smile that will brighten a room. I usually would have flour on my face from baking cookies and breads for the elders in the mornings.

    Describe your family.
    My family is unique. My mother is an entrepreneur in the perfume industry. She has a keen sense of smell for unique fragrances and can name off every smell, blindfolded. She cooks and cleans and makes sure her children are doing well. She is very religious and very willing to influence the religion in the household. My little sister is five and is autistic. Life is a struggle for her and for all of us. My father is a lawyer. He is a strong willed, confident, and intelligent man. He is at work for the majority of the day. He supports us well and is my role model.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I have things about me that I like and that I dislike. I like the way my family gets along with our neighborhood. I am carefree and understand how to enjoy life. I like the way some envy my patience with the elders and all the tasks I do to help the neighborhood. I don’t like how people discuss mean things about me behind my back. They say hurtful things like, “She only helps the elders for attention because she is well off on her feet from her family.”

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I detest them because the only kid of my age that I am close to is black and mother does not want me to associate with her. I do not understand why I am not allowed to be with my friend because the boss man said that it was immoral but I can careless. I just want there to be freedom to who we can be friends with.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Julie/Victoria: We are different in many ways. You are older than me and come from a different backround than I do. Do you ever get tired of having to play the role of a mom?

    Ashley/Evangeline: Is it scary being a military nurse?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Persona:Antionette
    Gender:Female
    Age:87
    Ethnicity:White
    Occupation:Retired Teacher
    Location:Montgomery, Alabama
    Estimated Yearly Income:$2,080

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I used to be one of the best looking girls back in my days in Philadelphia. But now my skin is wrinkly and my legs swell all the time, you can still see my radiant blue eyes through my wrinkly skin. My hair is now gray and I don't see too well anymore, but I am proud to still be living.
    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    I have two children, Fredrick is my oldest and Caroline-Marie is my youngest. They have their own families now and don't come around to see me much. Fredrick and his wife Rose have three kids: Fredrick Jr., the oldest and the twins Lynn-Mae, and Lei-Ann. Carline-Marie is only 24 and she and her husband Cliff say they're not ready for kids yet. My husband Alfred died about ten years ago. He fought in that war before he died. Now it's just me and my maid-servant Angela in the house now, we get along pretty well although she says she doesn’t quite like white people.
    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    I don’t feel inferior or superior to anyone around me, when my mother and I moved down to Alabama from Philadelphia we came down to help out with the segregation laws down here and to help women get all the rights that they deserved.
    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    Because I am old in order for me to go anywhere Angela has to travel with me and the segregation laws on the buses and in the dinners make it hard for me and Angela to stay together all the time. I don’t trust anybody else with my welfare except for Angela she’s the only person I really know nowadays, because most of my friends have gone on to glory.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Persona: Wendy

    Age: 16

    Gender: Female

    Ethnicity: White

    Occupation: none


    Describe your appearance.
    I am a young sixteen year old girl. I am short, probably around five foot. I have short blonde hair with green eyes and a few freckles on my face. I tend to always be smiling and have a friendly attitude towards everyone.

    Describe your family.
    My family is an average middle class family. I have one older brother, and one younger sister. My father owns a diner downtown and my mom works as a seamstress.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I do not feel superior nor inferior to anyone. I agree with Dr. King that everyone is equal. I like everything about my life, and everyone in it. My parents teach me that I should feel superior to African-Americans; however, I disagree. I do not voice my opinon to them though.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I am against segregation laws; I wish we could do away with them all. The few African-Americans I know are extremely nice, and I don't feel any better them. I do not understand why anyone feels that way. I asked my dad and he said maybe when I am older I will understand. I think there is nothing to understand, but that it is just wrong to think that. If I told my dad that though, he would probably get mad at me. In my opinion I think Dr. King is a very brave man to speak against segragation laws the way he has. I think more people should be like him.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Persona: Jamal

    Age: 17

    Gender: Male

    Ethnicity: African-American

    Occupation: Cook for a rich white family


    Describe your appearance.
    I am 17 years old. I work in the back of a house in the kitchen. I always have on a white hat, white apron, white button up shirt, white shoes, black pants, and white gloves. I cook the breakfest, lunch, and dinner meals for the family. The meals are usually very large since there is 13 poeple in the house that i have to cook for. I eat after the family along with the rest of the servants. I live in a small house down the street from the house i work in. My mother is a maid for the same house i work in. My father works in the paper mill thats a couple of miles from our house. He works from sun up to sun down so we dont get to see him very often. I have 3 brothers and 4 sisters. I am the second oldest out of the boys. The oldest is my brother Terance. He works along side my father in the mill. When i am not working i help my mother by keeping up with my younger brothers and sisters.

    Describe your family.
    I live in a small house down the street from the house i work in. My mother is a maid for the same house i work in. My father works in the paper mill thats a couple of miles from our house. He works from sun up to sun down so we dont get to see him very often. I have 3 brothers and 4 sisters. I am the second oldest out of the boys. The oldest is my brother Terance. He works along side my father in the mill. When i am not working i help my mother by keeping up with my younger brothers and sisters.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I am normally considered a loving and thoughtful guy. I sometimes get bullied by the older white boys in the house i work in. The white family often makes me feel inferior to their kind. My mother doesnt like me to be out past dark because i got attacked by a bucnh of white men one night. I dont really feel superior to anyone except my little brothers and sisters.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I feel like segregation is just the fear in the white man coming out. I think the olny reason we have segregation is because we look different from the whites and they are affraid and confused about that. I hope that these new laws help us to all realize thast we are all the same on the inside and that we can all live together in harmony.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Persona or Character Name: Conrad
    Gender: Male
    Age: 52
    Ethnicity: Russian
    Occupation: Being Communist
    Location: Soviet Russia
    Estimated Yearly Income: In Soviet Russia, you earn no moneys

    1. Describe your physical appearance. Bearded, wool coat for long Communist winters, 6’7”, boots made out of bear.
    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment. In Soviet Russia, you have no family
    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not? Big brother in Soviet Russia always makes you feel inferior.
    4. How do segregation laws impact your life? Segregation?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Brianna/Michelle:
    In order to achieve equality in our community, we should speak out and let the people around us know how segregation effects us physically and mentally as citizens of our community.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Julie/Victoria:
    You and I both lost a parent and we were both left with the responsibility of taking care of our family. Do you feel like the loss of your dad and taking on such a big responsibility has had any positive effects on you?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Amanda/Emily:
    You and I are both very different. We both have very different beliefs about segregation. How will you manage if equality is made a part of our lives in the near future since you're so against the idea of equality?

    ReplyDelete
  50. Persona or Character Name: Noelle
    Gender: Female
    Age: 12
    Ethnicity: White
    Occupation: None
    Location: Nashville, Tennessee
    Estimated Yearly Income: None

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I am average height. I have long blonde hair. I have bluish grey eyes. I wear the cutest dresses and shoes.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    My family is very wealthy and very well-known. My father is the sheriff of Nashville. My mother stays home and raises my sibling and I. I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters. My role is to help my mom with my younger siblings.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    I feel superior to almost everyone. A lot of people are intimidated by my father because he is the sheriff so they show me and my family just as much respect as they show him. Because my father is the sheriff I feel like some rules don’t apply to me when it comes to certain things.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    Because of the segregation laws I can’t be friends with the blacks. I honestly don’t think they want to be friends with me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Persona: Constance
    Gender: Female
    Age: 9
    Ethnicity: African-American
    Occupation: none
    Location: Birmingham, Alabama
    Estimated Yearly Income: none

    1.) Describe your physical appearance.
    I am a short black girl with short brown hair. Most days I wear whatever my mother makes or gets from her job. My mom makes sure I’m always nice and clean.
    2.) Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    My only job is to keep me and my little brothers out of trouble by staying out of the white people’s yards or our whole family could get in a lot of trouble.
    3.) Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    I don’t really know what that means but my parents have always taught me and my brothers that all people are equal even though not everyone thinks that way.
    4.) How do segregation laws impact your life?
    I can’t go and play in the park with the other children, I can’t go to school with the kids that aren’t my color, I can’t drink from certain water fountains, or eat wherever I want with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Character Name: Ciara Clemmons
    Gender: Female
    Age: 11
    Ethnicity: White
    Occupation: None
    Location: Tishomingo, MS
    Estimated Yearly Income: None
    1. Describe your physical appearance. I have dark brown hair and brown eyes. I’m about 5’ tall, and I weigh about 100 pounds.
    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment. My family is very difficult. My dad works as a farmer, my mom works in the house, and our slave, Sonia, helps out too. Sometimes they don’t understand me at all. I try real hard to fit in but it never seems to work. I help keep the house clean all the time and I help with the siblings.
    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not? I always feel like I deserve better than what I am getting but I’m very content with my life. I always say it could be a lot worst. I feel like my parents use me to help around the house but I don’t fully understand because I’m too young.
    4. How do segregation laws impact your life? It impacts my life in many ways more than I realize. I feel closer to Sonia than I do my own family. I feel like she gets compared to me very often. I feel like I’m also a slave, with my own family.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Monica/ Constance
    Does segregation impact your life that you can't have fun and do the things you want to do?

    ReplyDelete
  54. Shakeedra/Cindy
    I feel like my person is most related to you because we are alike in many ways. Our families are the same and we are treated the same even though we look nothing alike.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Cheyenne…sorry about the weird name
    Persona or Character Name: Kana
    Gender: Female
    Age: 16
    Ethnicity: African-American
    Occupation: student
    Location: Alabama
    Estimated Yearly Income:

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I am a bit on the average side. I have dark eyes and hair and I dress mostly in black…though when I get the chance I like to dress up in the kimonos I get for Christmas.(I love traditional Japanese culture!)

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    I live with my grandparents. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters but they live with my parents. My grandmother and my mother do NOT get along…mostly because grandmother HATES mother’s husband. I have the same opinion as grandmother on the topic of mother’s good-for-nothing husband. The tension in the family is a tad ridiculous but without it…I couldn’t be sure that this is my family. I don’t have a true role in my family. My grandmother has a bit of an overbearing personality…and we frequently clash. (2 females in 1 house, usually why sons can move back in with parents but daughters try their best not to) My grandfather is passive for the most part…I just have to make sure to clean my room…*sigh*. I try to be a good girl for the most part but…that gets old FAST.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    Well I can’t really say. I would like to say inferior but if you are an idiot you are an idiot and I consider myself superior to idiots. I sometimes feel inferior because I get put down a lot (made to sit in the back of the bus, made to use the back entrance, made to sit in the “colored” section, not allowed to sit at the bar…etc). Here though it’s part of life and the law so I can’t do anything about that (inferior) but in my own life I can choose who my friends are whether they are white or black (superior). It all varies.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    Well, excusing school I don’t really feel the sting of segregation. I got to different schools than some of my friends but that is it really. My family eats at home, and grandmother says buses aren’t safe for girls my age…though as to why I can’t even imagine. (this is Alabama not New York). Segregation bothers me mostly because even if I did do those things, the fact they we are made to live by the color of our skin…To me it is all truly abhorrent.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Character Name:Davon
    Gender:Male
    Age:21
    Ethnicity:Black + White(mixed)
    Occupation:Bouncer for a black bar
    Location:New York
    Estimated Yearly Income:$20,000

    1.Describe your physical appearance:Long hair, light-skinned, a goatee, Northern accent, and handsome.

    2.Describe your family and your role in that family enironment:My mom/40, 2 younger brothers/16&17, and my older sister/23;I bring home the bacon or the father figure of the family since all of our fathers walked out on us.

    3.Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you?Why or why not?:I feel both because our fathers should be the one taking care of the household but I figure since he isn't here I might as well step up or who will because mama can't do everything.

    4.How do segregation laws impact your life?:People have problems with me and my brothers often because we are mixed with both black and white. My sister is the only one of us that is one hundred percent white. So people call us and our mom out of our name but what can we do. I worl for a white man who isn't for the segregation laws so it helps a little to know that my money won't get messed up and that there are a some good people in this nation.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Amanda's Comment and question to Celeste:
    So do you do enjoy being the only child in the family and not really having do really do anything?

    ReplyDelete
  58. Amanda's comment to hidkiu: Why do you think we have these laws for a reason? What is wrong with your mother's father? Why do you not live with your parents?

    ReplyDelete
  59. Persona: Robert C. McKinley
    Gender: Male
    Age: 57
    Ethnicity: Black
    Occupation: Plays the guitar for fun, but don't mind to get a donations or two from my listeners. ;)
    Location: Memphis, Alabama
    Estimated Yearly Income: $500

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    ~I am an old man with a long gray beard, who always carries a trumpet in my hand. I wear an old trench coat that I found laying outside one day,a white shirt under it, and a pair of ratty old blue jeans that I've had for awhile now. These aren't my only clothes, but they're my "Sunday Best". As for my trumpet, 'Ole Gloria, she is pushing 40 so she has a few scratches here and there, but she can still sing as pretty as a parakeet.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    ~ I ain't got no family down here, and I don't know where any of the other ones at. The only family I got is my trumpet, ‘Ole Gloria. As for what role I play, I reckon both of us share the role of provider. Without 'Ole Gloria I couldn't make not even one penny, and without me she couldn't sing.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    ~Well I guess there is something else that ya'll need to know about me. I'm deaf. Yep, been deaf for 20 years now, and being deaf has really opened my eyes. You ask do I feel inferior or even superior, but all I got to say is that I don't feel neither one. I don't feel like I'm any better than old Jimmy Dawton (white trumpet player), but he's no better than me neither.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    ~Well it sure mess with my pockets, let me tell you!! Them old white boys don’t let me play in them old music parlors they got here. They don’t let me sit in the front of the bus neither, theys tell me to get in the back.

    this was written by Tandra :D

    ReplyDelete
  60. Persona or Character Name: Adebomi (My crown covers my bareness)
    Gender: Female
    Age: 16
    Ethnicity: Zimbabwean
    Occupation: Repteen
    Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
    Estimated Yearly Income: Volunteer

    1. Describe your physical appearance.

    I am very light and blonde.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.

    My parents moved here after they decided they were satisfied with their travels. They figured it would be hard but they would have a lot to learn. They were in love with the people here.
    My father supports us with his job at The Reps. We’re pretty well off; my mother is employed there as well. I don’t really expect to ever have much of a job but I love writing and theatre.

    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?

    Personally, I feel inferior. I am a native but I feel like an outsider. Though I and my family are fascinated with this culture and even share some of its practices, we live more by the European influence.

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?

    Sometimes I tend to be placed in superior positions because I’m European, but our family is also looked down upon due to our connection with the Battle of the Toilets. Our family does not believe in segregation; we believe in pretty much everything the government tries to suppress. However many of our friends believe in it too. They’re proud of us and it inspires them. They believe change is coming.
    Also, being a girl, I often feel inferior because of many sexist practices. Some of my friends have already been married. Some of my friends’ fathers have several wives. Most are poor. The father’s profession isn’t considered ‘beneficial too society’ or they aren’t from favored origin. My family shies from those considered so. They think they’re better than the rest of us. They see my family as scum for standing up for these people. Here, the government does not appreciate our opinions, particularly those in conflict with the current situation.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Persona: Thomas

    Age: 16

    Gender: Male

    Ethnicity: African-American

    Occupation: Cuts grass for a wealthy white family.

    Location: Birmingham, Alabama

    Estimated Yearly Income:


    (1) Describe your appearance.
    I am a sixteen year old african american male. I am six feet tall and very athletic. I mostly wear shorts and a t-shirt and any type of shoes that I can afford.

    (2) Describe your family and your role in that family environment. I live with my mother my father and two younger siblings. My father is rarely home, so when he is gone that makes me the man of the house. My mother has to work two jobs, still barely making enough money to keep our family out of the streets. Since I am the oldest I have to show leadership and responsibility to lead the young ones in the right path as they get older.


    (3) Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I dont feel either way because I show respect to everyone that I come in contact with daily and they show respect in return.

    (4) How do segregation laws impact your life?
    They impact my life deeply. My mother and father cant find good jobs because of their race and because of that they cant afford to get us into school.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Persona: Willie

    Age: 23

    Gender: Male

    Ethnicity: African-American

    Occupation: MLB Player


    Describe your appearance.
    I'm a 23 year old African American.I play baseball for the Pittsburg Pirates. I play the outfield, left field to be excat. Our uniforms are black,white and yellow. Because of my job I have to keep a haircut.

    Describe your family.
    I don't really have a family. I have been an orphan since the age of 5. My teachers told me my parents died in a house fire. I do have a player on my team that I consider to be my brother his name is Ron. We do everything together. Even though he may be white it doesnt change how i feel.
    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I feel inferior to my teammates. I feel this way because we have to use different equipment and locker rooms. I feel that if im apart of the team I should be able to use the samethings they do.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I feel the segregation laws should be elimnated because all they do is keep us separted from our fellow teammates and friends. God created all of us equal and it should stay that way. All these laws are not need to live life.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Persona or character name: Kenneth V. Dub
    Gender: Male
    Age: 25
    Ethnicity: White
    Occupation: I feed the chickens, man.
    Location: Haight-Ashbury commune
    Estimated Yearly Income: You don’t need money to be happy, man. We’re all just a part of nature… Make love not war, man.
    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    I’m 6 feet tall, I’m real skinny, I have long brown hair, my eye color is red and glazed over, I always wear a groovy ti-dyed head band, and I never wear shoes.
    2. Describe your family and your role in that family.
    We’re all part of the same family, man. The human family, and we’ve gotta like, learn to live together, man. Ya’ know? But my small family is, like, all my brothers and sisters in the commune, man. My role in my family is feeding the chickens, and fighting the machine, man.
    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    Society looks down on me because I don’t conform their ways and follow the machine, man. They want me to be like them and get a job, and bathe, and marry some chick, and occasionally not be stoned out of my mind, but that’s just not me, man. I know I’m superior to society, man, because they’re just blindly following the machine and serving the evil corporations, man, and I’m fighting the machine and living peacefully with nature and my fellow man… man.
    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    Segregation is wrong, man. We’re all brothers and sisters of each other, and it’s not right to treat some of them unfairly, man. Segregation laws don’t impact me much, man, because our commune and our concerts aren’t segregated, because we aren’t blinded by the machine so we can see how groovy our black brothers and sisters are, man.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Yo boss man. whats being a bouncer like?

    ReplyDelete
  65. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Forrest/Kenneth i agree with your philosophy about the sgregation laws we seem to be on the same page

    ReplyDelete
  67. Marie Anne/catilin- I wish I was in Your shoes you are so lucky and I was wondering what is it like to travel?


    Frances/Beumer- We have alot in common we baby sit and help around the house. I was wondering what you might do if you could change anyhting about you?

    ReplyDelete
  68. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Persona or Character Name: Charles
    Gender: male
    Age: 18
    Ethnicity: White
    Occupation: Factory worker
    Location: New York
    Estimated Yearly Income: 10,000

    1. Describe your physical appearance.
    About 6 foot tall, blue eyes, Decent clothes. Mid Length black hair.

    2. Describe your family and your role in that family environment.
    Dad is also a factory worker. Mom stays at home. Dad and Mom do not get along. I help them get along. Both parents are very racist. I am not.
    3. Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you? Why or why not?
    No. I beleive we are all equal .

    4. How do segregation laws impact your life?
    Not so much because i am white, but i do have to deal with riots and other things. If me and my african friend want to take a lunch break we can not go to the same place usually.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Persona: Leon

    Age: 10

    Gender: Male

    Ethnicity: Italian-American

    Location: Bronx, NY

    Occupation: work in father's restaurant sometimes


    Describe your appearance.
    I am a ten year old Italian boy. I have dark-colored hair with light brown eyes. I'm about 5"3 and the youngest of my brothers. I mostly wear my school clothes which are usually a collared shirt and blue jeans.

    Describe your family.
    My family is average size. My mother is a strong, no-nonsense type of woman who works mostly in the house but helps out at the restaurant occasionally. My father is an easy going guy who is a big part of our community. Brothers are Marco and Anjel. Marco, who is nineteen, is a business type of guy and calm. While on the other hand, Anjel, who is seventeen, likes to play around and has a big temper.

    Do you feel inferior or superior to others around you and why?
    I am not confident in myself for most of the time. I can play the piano, sing, and dance, but there are much better people than me. I am one of the smartest kids in my class, but I really just like keeping to myself. I don't have a lot of friends and really would like to keep it that way.

    How do you feel about segregation laws?
    I think segregation shows ignorance in our society. Why should you be discriminated against because of your color or race? I wish I could make a difference like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. He's out spoken and courageous and that is how I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Amanda: Things will change. That is the way of life. You may be rich now but what about the future. If you don't manage well then everything that you may be working for will go ndown the drain!... What will you do to make a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  72. Adam Abernathy: I think you are a good example of how everyone should act. You are working for you and your family. It doesnt seem like you care very much about the black/white issue. you just do what you have to do and I like that.
    You are different from me because of our age dfference.
    We are alike: cause That is how I think I stand also

    ReplyDelete
  73. Dj: I like how you manage things around you. You take your time and you analyze stuffs before you judge, and I think that made you see the truth that all of us are equal in everything.

    shn_leary: I know how you feeling toward around people. It is almost likely that they will criticized you for who you are and that is why you would like to keep your knowledge to yourself. But in times of struggle, I think you should get a big step to make people see how strong minded you are; you are smart enough to show everyone else that might change something special in some people or to yourself. Also I agreed that segregation shows ignorance in our society. It never occured in the Bible that segregation can be okay but it is not and it is a sin to mistreat others by their colors.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Jessica/Rosemary I feel we are the same, because we both feel inferior to others. Would you stand up for yourself like Rosa Parks did?

    ReplyDelete
  75. Jared/Jamal I feel we are different because my parents have wealthy jobs and yours don't. Would you fight against the white boys that bully you if you could?

    ReplyDelete
  76. jadesummerhill-- Willie, we are the closest to the same because of our profession. The only difference is our color and that doesn't matter to me.

    ReplyDelete
  77. Leary-- Leon, I feel that we are the most different because of my childhood life compared to yours. It seems as if you have to work hard to get things in your life as opposed to me just being spoiled and pampered.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Leary-- Leon, I feel that you and I are the most different because of our childhoods. It seems as if you have had to work for what you have wanted in your life as opposed to me being spoiled and getting whatever I wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Willie:

    You and I both share the fact that we don't have one or both of our parents. What kind of struggles did you encounter during your childhood because you lost both of your parents?

    ReplyDelete
  80. Amanda/Emily:

    You and I are obviously very different any many ways. Why don't you think that segregation laws will change?

    ReplyDelete
  81. abedomi i feel we are very different because you are placed in that superior position by other people, yet I place myself and my family in the superior position.

    ReplyDelete
  82. Bridgett i feel that we are more alike because the way we feel towards those who are ranked lower than we are. Therefore we need to all be different because that's the way we were made for a specific reason.

    ReplyDelete
  83. Julie/Victoria we both lost someone important in our lifes. Does this make you feel in any kind of way responible for their deaths?

    ReplyDelete
  84. Devon you have white mixed in with black much different from what i am use to. What do you claim to be when people ask you

    ReplyDelete
  85. GREAT JOB EVERYONE! I am very impressed with the creativity and effort involved with most of your personas. Those of you who took the time to develop your characters will do well in the future with the narrative essay we will be writing. I want you all to continue to think about the last question on the blog... How do segregation laws and circumstances impact these characters? How do they impact us today? These are important questions that will be explored further as we begin writing.

    There are a few blog profile names that I cannot identify.. Please let me know who Chingski, wswal2, picklemonkey97, $bossman$, m, and jadesummerhill are so that I can put your grades in STI.

    I have a couple of questions to answer as well from the eyes of my persona, Frances...

    picklemonkey - I do grow tired of doing the same thing every day. I sometimes dream about vacationing or traveling away from Mississippii when I am folding clothes or washing dishes. I can get very distracted!

    Jessicaputman157 - I think that if I could change anything about myself, I would probably work on my temper. I can get very angry or offended and then bottle that frustration until it builds and builds. Then I get REALLY angry at someone when it wasn't really his or her fault.

    Nice work everyone! See you on Monday!

    Ms. B

    ReplyDelete